Sunday 16 May 2021

I AM

I AM-




EX 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: `I AM has sent me to you.' "

I am. Is there anything more true or pure than this statement? Many years ago when my mind was much darker and my pride much greater, I believed that those “New Agers” who went around saying “I AM” were a bunch of evil idiots. Well, I guess I owe them an apology. I am learning not to scoff so easily because truth is found everywhere if we have the eyes to see it. They like so many other “religions” have truth in them, but keeping this truth from the corruption of the natural mind is the hard part. Even so, there is great truth in the statement, “I AM.” The Eastern religions long ago discovered this truth, so Moses wasn’t the only one.

Moses came into the presence of God, and God’s name was I AM. What does “I AM” mean? Well, among other possibilities, it means I exist. It means there is no name that is sufficient for “I.” Who is this “I?” The “I” is the true self- your spirit from God. This “I” does not change, but simply reaches higher and higher realizations as consciousness increases. This is what Jesus did. Jesus came to realize that he wasn’t the man of flesh the world called Jesus.

JN 8:58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am.”

Jesus became aware that he was truly spirit from God, so he existed before his body of flesh did. The prophet Jeremiah said that God knew him before he was in the womb. So the real Jesus didn’t come into being in Mary’s womb, but exists eternally in the mind of God as we all do. He existed before Mary gave him the name Jesus. He existed before the world taught him to be Jewish. He existed before and after his body was crucified. Jesus knew that he wasn’t flesh or soul, which can both be destroyed in this world. Jesus realized that “I” is his true, spiritual self from God. Remember that born of flesh is flesh and will die. That born of God is spirit and cannot die. So who am “I”?

Many times we will say things like, “I am hungry” or “I am short.” However, the truth is my body is hungry and my body is short. “I” am not a body of flesh. Jesus said the flesh counts for nothing because the spirit gives life. “I” use my body to move through this world, but it is no more who I AM than the car I drive. So, I am not my body.

It is the same with the mind “I” use. If I say, “I am angry!” It is really our mind that feels this feeling. “I am” above my mind. I can change my mind, so that I am not angry. The mind is something I have- a helper. Adam was given Eve as a helper, so the spirit is given the mind. Yet, my mind is not who I am. The mind can fall into state of depression for little or no reason, but “I” can override the mind and choose to be happy. This “I” is the true, higher self. This is who I am.

The world will also try to tell me who I am with labels. The world will say I am an American, but I know better. The world will try to tell me I am a white man, but I know better. The world will try to tell me that I am funny, or skinny, or short or intelligent, but I know better. The world labels the outer you while God calls the inner you his child. Again, peel off the layers the world wraps us in. I am not a Christian. If “I” were born in another place would “I” be a Hindu? No, “I” am the same person, but with different layers given by the world. The world of shadows cannot tell us who we are. God tells us who we are.

PS 82:6 “I said, ‘You are Gods. You are all sons of the Most High!’”

God calls us his OFFSPRING, and so we are this and nothing less. When Paul says there is not male or female in Christ, don’t we believe him? When he says there are no labels of any kind in Christ, don’t we believe him?

COL 3:11 Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

So if we are in Christ, then we are not any of these things, but simply part of the Body of Christ. If we are the Body of Christ, then we have the spirit of Christ- the spirit of sonship! We are the Sons of God coming to this world to do God’s will on earth as it is in heaven!

So the true self is the Son of God. The false self is called the son of the devil. I have the choice to serve either. While our ego and carnal mind may deceive us for a time, the power and light of Christ grows stronger each day. The day is coming when our will and Christ’s will be one. The time draws nearer when the voice we used to call God’s is accepted as our very own.

No comments:

Post a Comment